You don’t have to shell out a wad of green to cook a simple meal, and you shouldn’t have to. The night before I made the move to Montevallo, I had first day jitters. I worried if I could wake up in time for an 8 a.m. class three times a week. To take the place of the sleep I obviously wasn’t getting, I decided to head south of the border at 11 o’clock.
Eight 8-inch corn tortillas
Two tsp. chili powder
Three-fourths cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Three-fourths cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Cut the corn tortillas into eighths.
2. Spray each triangle with cooking spray or liquid butter and arrange on a baking sheet.
3. Coat with a mix of chili powder and both cheeses.
Note: If you’re cooking for yourself and not a group, slim down and use two to four tortillas instead of eight.
4. Bake for fifteen minutes at 400°F or until cheese melts and the tortillas are golden brown.
5. Serve eight to ten helpings, along with a glass of soy milk and a rerun of “True Blood” (not necessary but adds zest).
Total prep & cook time: 19 minutes